I thought for Valentine's Day, and inspired by OmegaValdwin, I thought it'd be great to post a top 10 list of my favorite DanganRonpa Girls from first game to V3. So let's begin!~ (Also keeping this spoiler-free... at least for V3 characters.)
10. Tojo Kirumi, Ultimate Maid- Probably the most classiest Ultimate girl since Kirigiri, I think Tojo's design is simply bad-ass and the best maid design since that of Umineko's Shannon. I appreciate having such a refined, mature young lady in a series like this and I really love her voice, her composure, and ultimately the development she receives. While she may not be one of my first choices when I play V3 localized, I will definitely make her among the earliest ones to see her FTE's as I think the series took a really unique approach to a maid.
9. Kyoko Kirigiri, Ultimate Detective- Over the course of seeing Dangan Ronpa, I've been growing a great respect for the characters in Dangan Ronpa who are proactive and also on the force of good and trying to bring up the hope and safety for their friends. Fiercely all-purple, Kirigiri was the series first real helper towards the main protagonist and though it took her awhile to open up, she ultimately became a friendly yet stoic and absolutely loyal ally to those she cared about and in the Dangan Ronpa anime, was a complete shining beacon to those around her and fought to find the truth even nearly sacrificing herself to do so. So ultimately I definitely think Kirigiri is a character worthy of her popularity and ultimately her future.
8. Sonia Nevermind, Ultimate Princess- Sonia is definitely one of the more interesting Dangan Ronpa girls as her whole Ultimate talent is based primarily on her status as a princess and I think this is what gives her such surprising personality traits, like her fascination with killers, her strange Novoselic traditions, and ultimately her desire to be a more normal girl for once (Or plain girl). Underneath that, she is a compassionate and sweet person but is also someone who does not give up so easily and when she wants something done she will get it done, whether through commands or her own hand. It's also pretty funny whenever she gives implications to maybe not being all that innocent.
7. Sakura Oogami, Ultimate Fighter- Ultimately in a series that prides itself on characters who kill due to desperation, weaknesses, Monokuma's motives, or being cold-hearted or selfish in their desires, Sakura is a character who is just pure of heart and can recognize herself for who she is and the results of her actions. She's responsible, incredibly selfless, and really defined herself a martyr for those who ultimately went on to survive the first killing game and throughout the series then. She's also really sweet and her friendship with Aoi is definitely one of the most genuine ones in the series from then to now.
6. Kaede Akamatsu, Ultimate Pianist- I got to say, Kaede definitely sells to me a female protagonist and in a way that I think is her own special way from the others. She sort of has Hajime's more tense side with Naegi's sense of justice and belief in her friends with her own sort of tactfulness, piano-baka charm, and the fact she will go all the way to stand against the mastermind. Plus her design is really cute, showing off her pianist talent in a sensible and not overdone way like you could imagine this series to go. I definitely would love to see more of her and understand more of once the localization is out.
5. Himiko Yumeno, Ultimate Mage (Magician)- OMG Yumeno is just a cute, red velvet, MAHOU girl. XD I mean not only is her design absolutely fabulous and one of the stand outs of V3, but she just has such a cute and unique personality for the series. Not really malicious but rather lazy and slovenly unless it comes down to her magic and friendships and ultimately she's a very precious and kawaii character in the game and definitely one of my pre-game favorites. Glad to see that my love of her wasn't misplaced and she is a definite MUST-HAVE for me for FTE'S, the mini-games, and many more!
4. Angie Yonaga, Ultimate Artist- Angie, Angie, Angie... or Dancing Queen as I like to call her. I like to consider her to be V3's Ibuki a LOT. She has Ibuki's quirkiness, her boundless energy and positivity their very unique (And FABULOUS) style, though the big difference between her and Ibuki is whereas Ibuki has a bit more vulnerability to her, particularly having been Despair, Angie is extremely mysterious and also is never shown to be sad or down in the dumps. Not to mention her whole belief in her island's God and you have the one of the first characters I am DEFINITELY doing FTE's for to learn more about.
3. Mahiru Koizumi, Ultimate Photographer- Considering how a majority of Dangan Ronpa's Ultimates are so zany and wild and diverse (V3 not really helping for sanity's sake except for probably the protagonists, Ryoma, and Tojo), Mahiru is just so down-to-earth and refreshing. She may have her high expectations but I think they have meaning to them and she's overall really kind and thoughtful and careful and she tries to do the right thing throughout the many bad scenarios she's ended up in throughout the series. I just think she's a great, well-rounded character and definitely waifu material.
2. Ibuki Mioda, Ultimate Musician- Ah, Ibuki... my favorite Super Danganronpa 2 character and definitely one of the most upbeat and hilarious characters throughout the series. I just really admire her zaniness without being overbearing, how she can helpful and try her best but also recognize tricky situations, her unexpected wisdom and knowledge of what she wants in life, and just all her quirks from introducing herself via song to her unique music style itself. I'm glad things turned out well for her as she is definitely one of friendliest characters in the series and I hope she keeps rocking on wherever she is.
1. Taeko Yasuhiro (Celestia Ludenberg), Ultimate Gambler- Still above and beyond my favorite Dangan Ronpa character and my favorite murderess overall, I just find Celeste to be extremely captivating. From her fancifulness, her double-sided personality, her remarkable intelligence, the fact she deemed herself such a plain girl that she tried to create this gothic lolita straight from wonderland, and her dramatic trail, it is a shame she had to die but ultimately you have to give her credit for taking her defeat nicely and I can't wait to use her in the V3 minigames.